OUT IN THE WORLD WITHOUT YOUR CAR: Owen and Carrie Schulman have a two-ferry day


By Owen and Carrie Schulman

We had a fun, car-less adventure a few weeks ago! We took:
  • Bike on the Bay Trail to Richmond ferry
  • Richmond Ferry to San Francisco Ferry building
  • Had lunch and shopped at the Ferry building (including chocolate tasting!)
  • Took ferry to Jack London Square in Oakland
  • Attempted to catch Amtrak train to Berkeley but just barely missed it
  • Biked to 12th Street BART
  • Took BART home to El Cerrito Plaza
“A simpler version would be to just take the Richmond Ferry both ways,” says Carrie, Owen’s mom. “But taking the different types of transit was half the fun! We've also taken the Richmond Ferry to go to the Exploratorium.”

“I had a lot of fun on my car-less adventure,” Owen says. “One of my favorite parts of the adventure was trying to catch the Amtrak train. It was very exciting but we missed the train. One of my favorite things about not having a car was not having to look for parking, not getting stuck in traffic, being able to take public transit, and being able to go to more places than we thought.”

“I loved biking to the ferry station so we had more flexibility on how we got home, instead of being tied to a parked car in Richmond,” Carrie says. “I was impressed with how easy it was to take my bike on/off the boat. Next time I might do it with my big and heavy e-bike. At first it seemed strange that nobody locked their bikes on the boat but then I realized that there was no place for them to go! I did keep an eye on the bikes when we temporarily docked in Alameda on the ferry ride home.”

“Most of all I loved spending the day with Owen and exploring the many different ways we can get around without cars,” Carrie says.

Image above: Carrie and Owen rode the ferry from san Francisco to Oakland on their two-ferry day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CalWalks-SafeTREC report promotes safer streets for El Cerrito and Richmond Annex

OUT IN THE WORLD WITHOUT A CAR: The Spring Ride

HURRAH FOR USABLE BIKE RACKS! El Cerrito Natural Foods