Welcome Jarrett Mullen, El Cerrito’s new sustainable transportation program manager


This fall El Cerrito welcomed Jarrett Mullen as the city’s new sustainable transportation program manager, a new position that reports to Melanie Mintz, El Cerrito’s community development director. Previously, Mullen worked as a senior Transportation Planner for Fehr & Peers consultants and the City of Palo Alto. A native of Fremont, Mullen attended San Jose State University with degrees in sociology and urban Studies. El Cerrito Strollers & Rollers asked Mullen a few questions. — Janet Byron

EC S&R: Tell us a little bit about yourself. 

JM: I’m a lifelong Bay Area resident who grew up in Fremont and currently lives in San Francisco. I love spending time outside, whether backpacking, hiking, or bicycling. When I’m not outside, you can probably find me at a music venue listening to a psychedelic rock act or trying a new restaurant. I'm looking forward to resuming traveling again once the pandemic risks and restrictions ease.

EC S&R: How did you become interested in transportation issues? 

JM: My father sparked my interest in transportation from an early age. He worked as a mechanical engineer at BART during the 1970’s and he frequently shared stories of the system’s planning and early operational hurdles. I ultimately discovered transportation planning as a professional calling, since it combined my interest in the environment, transit systems, urban design, and social change.

EC S&R: What do I hope to achieve as El Cerrito’s new sustainable transportation program manager? 

JM: First, I’m excited to learn about the community’s vision for the future. I’ve been immersing myself in the city’s various plans including the San Pablo Avenue Specific Plan, Active Transportation Plan, and the housing element, among others. I’m excited to work on the City’s groundbreaking parking management plan around the El Cerrito Plaza BART station and apply my knowledge of complete street planning and design to several upcoming projects.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CalWalks-SafeTREC report promotes safer streets for El Cerrito and Richmond Annex

OUT IN THE WORLD WITHOUT A CAR: The Spring Ride

HURRAH FOR USABLE BIKE RACKS! El Cerrito Natural Foods